Saturday, December 09, 2006

Building blocks (investing)

Picked up a good book from the library the other day,
“Building Wealth with Dividend Stocks”. The book is not a nail biting page turner but well worth the read. This is more of your foundation type book. The book walks you through how to pick solid companies with growing dividends. There is also a nice section on DRIPs (dividend reinvestment plans), how they work and the long term benefit of being involved with a good one. In the back of the book is a huge listing of companies that offer DRIPs to their shareholders. The list makes getting started a snap. It provides web addresses, summary of the DRIP plan, and even a phone number to the company. If you are new to investing or just want to get some consistent pieces in place before short term trading then spend sometime with this book. I admit, I had a little smile as I scanned down the list of top quality companies and realized that I had DRIPs with some of them. I make all my own decisions after my own research, and take full responsibility for the ups and downs. But, it is still nice every now and then to see someone else agreeing with those picks. If you get a chance to take a look at it the author’s name is Joseph R. Tigue.

More later

No comments: